7 Examples of Power techniques that every consumer needs to be extra careful about
- Priming – Even before the product is shown or discussed, the consumer’s mind is primed. Example, many sites use backgrounds which show larger than life pictures or pictures related to money or health or safety at the start of the site. They are priming you.
- Anchoring – When ever you see a discount on the site, you also see the original price. This is an example of anchoring by comparison to make you feel special
- The Frequency illusion – Multiple emailers, retargeting Ads and repetition of advertising across platforms is building up frequency in your mind to make you like the brand more.
- Loss aversion – Many brands offer a free trial and then you need to pay after a week or two to use the product. People are loss averse so they pay after two weeks.
- Repositioning the competition – Many brands ask you to be smart by using their brand. This is repositioning the competition into dumb.
- Promote Exclusivity – Many brands Offer something exclusive, every user loves this as it’s everyone’s desire to be unique
- Fear, uncertainty, doubt (FUD) – The three most powerful emotions that are used by brands to influence consumers. When used together, they are lethal !